In the 1990's I published a daily diary on the internet that followed my work as a painter and sculptor. Schools and colleges throughout the world accessed the site and it can lay claim to being the world's first "blog". The diary continues from my studio at Antrim and is currently followed by thousands of art students in over fifty countries.

"Notes for Art Students" began life four years ago as a supplement for students attending my art classes. I have now re-launched the site in the hope that it will benefit all Dominican students who will be taking the CXC exam in Visual Arts.

From now on these pages will interactive and feature your work...your successes and what you may think as your failures. Send a photo to: antrimstudio@gmail.com of the painting or drawing that you would like me to critique. I will then feature your work along with my feedback.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

An elephant with the ears/wings of a butterfly

While waiting for my Dominica Grammar Students to send in their work, let me introduce a student that recently contacted me regarding pursuing her interest in art.

Dionne sat CXC in Visual Art when she was a student at Goodwill Secondary School. Regardless of her passion for art and her undoubted talent, she did not do well. In fact her paper was returned unmarked. She is not alone in this predicament. My most outstanding Dominican student took the exam a few years ago and came away with no more than average marks. Unlike mathematics and science there is no right or wrong answer. Everything depends upon the examiner's ability to recognise emerging talent. 

In my experience students fall down, not so much on the work that is done on the day of the examination, but on the work that is prepared and submitted beforehand. In particular this applies to the "Journal" element. For this year's students the handing-in-date for the journal - which covers a two year period - is barely a week away. Nevertheless,you still have time to dip your pen into a glass of creative nectar and come up with something lyrical. 

Below is one of Dionne's paintings: an elephant with the ears/wings of a butterfly. Now that is what creativity is all about...a different way of seeing. 



If you think that an elephant with ears/wings of a butterfly is weird, Paul McCartney of "Beatles" fame once said:

I used to think anyone doing anything weird was weird. Now I know that it is the people that call others weird that are weird.

Dionne is now a student at the State College. But alas, because the college offers nothing in art she is instead studying Law Enforcement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment