In the 1990's I published a daily diary on the internet that followed my work as a painter and sculptor. Schools and colleges throughout the world accessed the site and it can lay claim to being the world's first "blog". The diary continues from my studio at Antrim and is currently followed by thousands of art students in over fifty countries.

"Notes for Art Students" began life four years ago as a supplement for students attending my art classes. I have now re-launched the site in the hope that it will benefit all Dominican students who will be taking the CXC exam in Visual Arts.

From now on these pages will interactive and feature your work...your successes and what you may think as your failures. Send a photo to: antrimstudio@gmail.com of the painting or drawing that you would like me to critique. I will then feature your work along with my feedback.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Keeping it simple

In terms of drawing materials, anything goes.  Toulouse-Lautrec and Auguste Rodin at times resorted to drawing on brown wrapping paper and painting on sheets of cardboard.  I made the sketch below with the only materials at hand: a ballpoint pen and a sheet of photocopy paper. 

Gretel Sleeping

The more readily available the materials the more you can afford to practice.  A successful artist covers acres of paper with sketch after sketch.  Take heart, for the learning curve does not always climb steadily upwards.  There are times when you feel to be getting nowhere.  But you must continue to work through those periods.  The reward comes when on day you unexpectedly break through to new ground.

I can draw and paint without any materials at all.  As I queue at the supermarket my eyes are studying the people around me and my brain is mentally working out how I would put the scene down on paper: the lines, the shades, the colours.

Below is one of Toulouse-Lautrec’s sketches that he made with a stick of red chalk.  Use the internet for find out more about this artist.


No comments:

Post a Comment